Noillyprat--Shaken, Not Stirred

And Make it a Dirty One...

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Wig in a Box

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is one of my favorite movies. In addition to appealing to the immense faghag in me, it's glamorous with great music. But it's also an amazing story, beautifully told and very moving.

For those of you that may not know of it, it began as an off Broadway musical, and hit the big screen in 2001. It's the story of Hedwig, who began life as Hansel and had a botched sex change operation (Angry Inch, get it?). Then her husband leaves her, then her lover leaves her, steals all the songs they wrote together and becomes famous pop star Tommy Gnosis. We get to follow Hedwig and her band as they follow Tommy around. While he plays huge venues, Hedwig and the Angry Inch play over salad bars and dinner buffets.

It's a very funny movie, and moving too. I've seen it a million times and I still often tear up at the end, and always get goose bumps during "The Origin of Love". I have the soundtrack and listen to it often. If you haven't gotten my point yet, my point is go see this movie.

Hedwig is well on it's way to cult status. It even has midnight showings a la Rocky Horror in quite a few places across the country. Tucson's The Loft is one of them, and last Saturday, John Cameron Mitchell, writer director and star of Hedwig was here to join us for it. When I heard about it I almost peed all over myself. I was a little nervous, because I love this movie so very much, that it would have been a huge disappointment if he should turn out to be a jerk.

Luckily, he was not a jerk. I didn't get to meet him, but he spoke for quite a while before the movie played, and he was great. Very funny, witty, gracious and kind. I love him even more now. I'm positively starstruck, and I didn't even get within 20 feet of him. But I'm still mooning around over it and listening to the soundtrack over and over again, singing as loud as I can.

And that was my big exciting weekend. Oh, and those of you looking for a Christmas present for me, here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home